My "Japanese Cobra" Project Blog

Photo of S2 Racing's Japanese Cobra car


Being a bit of a car nut, having owned 19 (soon to be 20 ��) cars over the last 35-ish years, one of my bucket-list goals was to do a car project. But, what?...


My original thinking was to build a kit car. However, on looking at the kits available in New Zealand (e.g. a Lotus 7 replica, the Exocet or Rhubarb kits, etc) none of them got me excited. While I'm sure these sorts of kits perform really well, I still wanted a degree of creature comfort too - i.e. a reasonably performing car, but one you can still comfortably take for a weekend away, go to Raglan for lunch, or to pop out (taking the long road) for an ice-cream.

Given the Exocet kit, and some other kits, use a Mazda MX-5 (also known as the Miata in the USA, or Eunos in parts of Asia-Pacific) as a donor car, I wondered what else could be done using the MX-5 as a base. That's when I stumbled across S2 Racing's "Japanese Cobra" (http://s2-racing.com/?page_id=960). On seeing the photo above, now I was excited!

After confirming the feasibility (and potential costs - although we know the "budget" will likely creep) of such a project (thanks here to Kane at Nostalgia Motors, whose LVV certification advice was, and will be, invaluable), my NZ Japansese Cobra Project was born. This blog will let you follow my adventures...

Comments