First Step - Base MX-5 Car Purchased

Looking at S2 Racing's Japanese Cobra kits, the base car needed to be either a NA model (Mk 1 - 1989 to 1997) or NB (Mk2 - 1999 to 2005). I liked the NB model of MX-5 better (due to them having more power, airbags, ABS, etc) and the Cobra kit on the NB looks better I think.

To me an NB model was the way to go. But, in terms of the kits turns out they're slightly different depending on whether the NB model is either a 1998 to 2000 model, or a 2001 to 2005 'facelift' model. So, I needed to find a car first before I could order the kit. Let the hunt commence!

Wow, quite a few gold ones around! So, that got me thinking. If the final result was going to be blue - as let's face it, most Cobras are blue - then it would make sense if the base car was blue too. Less painting required, or I'd need to live with a blue Cobra on the outside and a gold MX-5 on the inside 😄. Can we find a blue-ish 1.8L (more power) NB MX-5 with low kms?

Well turns out there were a few, but would depend on what I was willing to pay. There were a couple of light blue 2002 models with soft & hard tops which looked good. One with lower kms (130k), but it had a tan top and tan interior (hmm, a bit yuk), and one with higher kms and black interior. Both were around the $5,000.

Then Turners auctions in Hamilton had a purply-blue 2002 with a "$4,000 to $5,000 estimated reserve". Went and had a look and took it for a short test drive (more fuel in your vehicles please Turners!) and yes it would definitely be suitable. I couldn't make the auction, so I did online bidding. I bid up to $4,600 and the reserve was met. But, then a floor bidder jumped in - "what?" A few quick alternate bids with them and we were up to $5,100 (my theoretical reserve). I thought I'd bid them up a bit until they slowed down. Bang we were up to $6,000! Still ok - let's bid a bit more (auction competitiveness kicking in). No, slowing down by the floor bidder and so I bowed out when it got to $6,900 ($7,000 would have to be my next bid). PS. Sorry, if you were that floor bidder and I bid you up 😉.

The auction was an interesting exercise in determining the "market rate" of the sort of car I was after. With the Turners buyers fee (approx $480) the buyer would have paid around $7,400 for the car. Hey, that makes the nice 2004 car I saw in Auckland for $7,700 not so expensive. A 2004, 146km, 160hp 1.8L with VVT (the Turners and other 2002 models were only 147hp) model, with larger 4.1 final drive (as opposed to other NB 6-speeds with 3.9), LSD, Mazdaspeed muffler (sounds great), lightweight flywheel, ILmotorsport stiffer engine mounts, 5X racing rear sway/anti-roll bar, Bilstein suspension, new Yokohama Neova AD08R tyres, new set of new DTM wheels, larger diameter sport brake discs,  EBC Greenstuff rear brake pads and LED headlights - phew!

Off to Auckland we go for a look. Nice car - let's do a deal. After a bit of haggling I have the car for the project - yah! Bit, more than I budgeted - but look at all of that added value 😊. Here's a photo. Nice color too, eh!

2004 Mazda MX5 / Miata Roadster car
My 2004 Mazda MX-5 Roadster



Comments